Sunday, October 19, 2008

CC vs Baldwin Park

On 10/8 Chaffey had it's last home cross country meet of the year. We've still got several weeks of season left, but there were only 3 home meets and this was it. So, the goal was to get her letter time while she had the home course advantage.


Tyaan has been running really well but she still had to get her best time ever to letter. We did our best to get her well fed and well rested, although with her busy schedule that's never easy to do. After mutual (which she is expected to attend because of her stake calling) and hours of homework we were lucky to get her to bed at a somewhat decent hour the night before. I made sure she ate a good breakfast that morning (not a usual occurrence at our house) and drank lots of water throughout the day. I bought her racing shoes which are made to be as light as possible and should help her drop some time.


I showed up at the meet and she was dressed and ready...and nervous. She wanted to do really well but she knew it was going to take a lot do get the time she wanted. Her best time on the home course previous to this day was over 24 minutes, so to get the letter time of 21:45 was going to be hard. I was equipped with my stopwatch and ready to hit the spots of the course she had asked me to give her the time at.

They started off and she finished the first mile in just over 6 minutes, which was great. At the second mile mark she was at about 15:30, which was about 30 seconds behind where I thought she should be to get her time. She ran the last mile great but I could see she was tired. She had done a good job with her breathing and didn't cramp up. She ended with a time of 22:45, exactly a minute over the time she needed to letter, but I was so thrilled with how well she did. She improved her best time by 2 minutes which is fantastic. And she's in great shape so there's still hope that she'll get the time on another course before the season is over.

No comments: